Birch Class Year 4
Welcome to the Year 4 class page.
This is the place to find out about the ongoing learning in Year 4.
If your child/children are isolating please follow the daily tasks outlined below and use the links provided. This page will be updated each week with new tasks. If you wish to send through your child’s work, please upload it via Class Dojos.
Reading is an important part of daily learning. Please encourage your child to read for at least 15 minutes per day and make a comment in their reading record each day. Please encourage them to read a variety of different texts such as; modern fiction, poetry, plays, non-fiction and traditional stories.
Your child’s reading can also be supported with additional resources such as First News. https://www.firstnews.co.uk/login/
Please download the weekly magazine for your child. It offers great news, views & tips on current affairs locally & around the globe. Your child can access First News with their login details which can be found on their reading journal.
In order to keep up presentation standards, please ensure your child continues practicing their handwriting via the link below. Please use the videos to support your child’s cursive handwriting.
Continue to work through the year 3/4 statutory words listed below. Please use the spelling activities suggested below to support your child with their spellings.
- Practise these spellings (look, say, cover, write, check)
- Draw a picture to go with each one to help you remember what they mean
- Use them in a sentence
- Bubble write
- Spell them backwards
- Create a spelling poem
- Create a mnemonic for each word
Physical education is important. Please use the resources suggested below to maintain your child’s fitness at home.
- Joe Wicks from Body Coach TV has daily P.E. videos https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBodyCoachTV/videos
- Super-movers https://www.bbc.co.uk/teach/supermovers/ks2-collection/zr4ky9q
- Cosmic Yoga https://www.youtube.com/user/CosmicKidsYoga
Our topic for Autumn 2 is the ‘UK’.We will be learning about all aspects of the United Kingdom such as the human and physical features of Great Britain, such as population, life expectancy, tallest mountains, longest rivers, coastlines and much more.This week I would like you to find out counties in the ‘Uk’ and the surrounding counties where you live.
#DrawWithRob provides draw along videos for your child to follow and create their own illustrations.
Our topic this half term is Electricity. In science we will learn to identify items that run on electricity such as laptops, mobile phones, televisions, etc. We are learning how to construct a simple series circuit, about electrical safety, how to identify conductors and insulators and will understand that a switch opens and closes a circuit. This week I would like you to learning about insulators and conductors. Can you find a list of different materials that conduct and insulate electricity
Additonal science resources
WOW science https://wowscience.co.uk/
Week Beginning the 30th November- 4th December 2020
English and Maths daily tasks
Please follow the Oak National Academy Resources
Once you have clicked on the link, click ‘schedule’ which can be found in the top right hand corner of the page. Here you will find a daily Maths lesson and English lesson with supporting videos for your child to complete.
Additional Maths Resources
- Mathletics – Please complete the weekly Maths tasks assigned on Mathletics. Your child can find their log in details inside their reading journals. https://login.mathletics.com/
- TTRS – Please ensure your child is practicing their Times Tables through TTRS. Your child can find their log in details inside their reading journals. https://play.ttrockstars.com/auth/school/student
- Numbots – Please ensure your child is practicing their addition and subtraction through Numbots. Your child’s login details are the same as their TTRS logins.
- Maths Resource Pack – file://dc-srv-01/thome$/ghopkins/Downloads/family-maths-y4-y4-everyday-activities-pack_final.pdf